Andrew Tunney (aka 2hands) is a freelance artist and writer based in Manchester, UK. He has worked internationally in illustration, character design, comics, print, clothing and live-art. His work has been featured by Comics Alliance, ArtSlant Street, DigitMag, The Bluecoat, Starburst, Forbidden Planet International, Tumblr and Juxtapoz.
His work is often youth focussed, street driven, with an eye for fashion and is inspired by film, comics and animation. He earned the nickname '2hands' because he can draw with both hands at once. He is not ambidextrous; he just works hard.
He is currently working as a freelance illustrator and developing his own projects; the latest being THE WRITTENS, an experimental art and photographic travel journal.
- New Balance
- BBC Magazines
- Ecko* Unltd.
- Image Comics
- Time Out
- NOISE Festival
- Channel M
- Be-Mag Rolling Magazine
- CULT by GHOSTS (exhibition)- Orbital Comics, 2014
- Best Comic (Nomination) - British Comic Awards 2012
- DaDaFest - Difference On Display (exhibition) - The Bluecoat, Liverpool- 2012
- 'Role Model For Creative Youth' - 2008
- 'One To Watch' - Digit Mag - 2007
- NOISE Festival - final showcase - 2006
- Urbis, Manchester
- Magma, London
- New Balance 'Region' exhibition - 2005
Over the last 10 years Andrew has steadily planted both hands in the past, present and future of Manchester's culture.
He has worked with cultural institutions Tony Wilson, Channel M and Dpercussion, continued to work with forward-thinking charity NOISE Festival and was quietly instrumental in Manchester's hip-hop scene during the 00's street art boom as the original art director of Sketch City. Now he is part of the burgeoning UK comic art scene, his first comic GIRL&BOY being nominated for BEST COMIC at the first ever British Comic Awards.
- Bleeding Cool
- Interview about CULT exhibition by GHOSTS in 2014.
- Comics Beat
- Announcement for CULT exhibition by GHOSTS in 2014.
- Forbidden Planet International
- GIRL&BOY featured and reviewed by Richard Bruton in 2012.
- Comics Alliance
- GIRL&BOY featured by Laura Hudson in 2012.
- Starburst Magazine
- GIRL&BOY review - 9 out 10, 2011
- Interviewed for the 'Folio' feature in issue 7 of One.
- H Magazine
- Interviewed in the september 2007 issue of Spain's lifestyle publication H Magazine.
- Bob Magazine
- Profiled in the 2007 premiere issue of Manchester's Bob Magazine
- Digit Magazine
- Named as 'One To Watch in 2007' out of top UK talent in February's Digit Magazine.
- Channel M
– illustrator and guest for special TV show featuring Paul Insect, close collaborator with Banksy and other top NOISE illustration talent
- All FM
– special NOISE radio show featuring new creative talent from Manchester
- Arts Council North West Autumn 2006 Brochure
– featuring top NOISE talent from Manchester
- Rolla Mag Australia - 2006
- Exclusive interview in Australia's premiere rollerblading magazine on being an artist in the rollerblading world
Sketches, Fan-Art, Photography & Other Creative Work
You can see more of Andrew's work at his Instagram where he posts live updates of his travel sketches and photography. Andrew also has a Tumblr where you can see observational sketches, fan-art and some of his ongoing personal projects like his Movie Faces series of actor drawings and his Cosplay Polaroid collection. You can also read Andrew's latest project The Writtens there for a limited time before it moves to a new, more bespoke, setting.